Current:Home > reviewsSurpassing:Massachusetts secures $1 billion in federal funds to help replace Cape Cod bridges -Aspire Money Growth
Surpassing:Massachusetts secures $1 billion in federal funds to help replace Cape Cod bridges
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 16:04:00
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts is Surpassingmaking headway on putting together the funding needed to replace two aging bridges that connect Cape Cod to the rest of the state.
Gov. Maura Healey announced Friday that the Massachusetts Department of Transportation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have secured nearly $1 billion in additional federal dollars for the construction of the replacement spans over the Cape Cod Canal. The funding was included in a bipartisan bridge investment program.
The additional $1 billion brings the total amount of federal funding secured for the project to nearly $1.72 billion, in addition to the $700 million in state funding pledged by the Healey administration.
The full cost to replace both bridges is estimated at around $4.5 billion.
“This is a game-changing award for Massachusetts. We’ve never been closer to rebuilding the Cape Cod Bridges than we are right now. This funding will be critical for getting shovels in the ground,” Healey said.
Cape Cod and the islands — Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket — are home to 263,000 permanent residents and are popular tourist destinations with five million annual visitors.
The Army Corps of Engineers currently owns and maintains the bridges, which officials say are structurally deficient, functionally obsolete, and nearing the end of their usable life. The corps has warned that if the spans aren’t replaced within the next several years, one of them would have to be completely closed for 18 months for maintenance.
Plans are to focus first on replacing the Sagamore Bridge before turning to the Bourne. After the project is finished, the state department of transportation will own, maintain and operate the completed bridges.
Construction on both began in 1933.
An estimated 9,000 construction jobs will be created by the replacement project.
Last year, the state won $372 million for the bridge replacement project from the Federal Multimodal Project Discretionary Grant program. The state also secured another $350 million in the Fiscal Year 2024 Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act.
Healey said her administration is continuing to pursue federal dollars to help pay for additional phases of the bridge project including the Bourne Bridge replacement.
Democratic U.S. Rep. Bill Keating, whose district includes Cape Cod, said the latest federal grant is culmination of more than a decade of work.
“The new Sagamore Bridge will be more than just a connection between two sides of the canal, it is a lifeline for the quarter of a million people who live on Cape Cod and the economic driver that brings workers and tourists back and forth every day,” Keating said.
Of the two bridges, the Sagamore has more traffic and accounts for about 56% of crashes on the bridges. A new Sagamore Bridge will have wider lanes, rapid bus transit and bicycle and pedestrian access.
The new Bourne Bridge will also include a shared path for bicyclists and pedestrians.
veryGood! (3453)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Brandon Sanderson's next Stormlight Archive book is coming. New fans should start elsewhere
- American Taylor Fritz makes history in five-set win over friend Frances Tiafoe at US Open
- Wynn Resorts paying $130M for letting illegal money reach gamblers at its Las Vegas Strip casino
- 'Most Whopper
- Inside the Gruesome Deadpool Killer Case That Led to a Death Sentence for Wade Wilson
- Colorado vs. Nebraska score: Highlights from Cornhuskers football win over Buffaloes today
- This climate change fix could save the world — or doom it
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- A Rural Arizona Water District Had a Plan to Keep the Supply Flowing to Its Customers. They Sued
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- After 26 years, a Border Patrol agent has a new role: helping migrants
- Jessica Pegula and Aryna Sabalenka try to win the US Open for the first time
- Aryna Sabalenka wins US Open, defeating American Jessica Pegula in final
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Kylie Jenner and Jordyn Woods Prove Their Friendship is Strong 5 Years After Feud
- Waffle House CEO Walt Ehmer has died at age 58
- Which NFL teams have new head coaches? Meet the 8 coaches making debuts in 2024.
Recommendation
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Cars talking to one another could help reduce fatal crashes on US roads
Hunter Woodhall wins Paralympic sprint title to join his wife as a gold medalist
Georgia school shooting highlights fears about classroom cellphone bans
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Nebraska rides dominating defensive performance to 28-10 win over old rival Colorado
13 children, 4 adults visiting western Michigan park stung by ground-nesting bees
Paige DeSorbo Swears Everyone Who Buys These Pants Loves Them So Much, They End Up Getting Every Color