Current:Home > StocksSentencing trial set to begin for Florida man who executed 5 women at a bank in 2019 -Aspire Money Growth
Sentencing trial set to begin for Florida man who executed 5 women at a bank in 2019
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 00:57:19
Zephen Xaver walked into a central Florida bank in 2019, fatally shot five women and then called police to tell them what he did. Now 12 jurors will decide whether the 27-year-old former prison guard trainee is sentenced to death or life without parole.
Jury selection is scheduled to begin Monday in the sentencing trial after numerous delays caused by the pandemic, legal wrangling and attorney illness.
Xaver pleaded guilty last year to five counts of first-degree murder for the Jan. 23, 2019, massacre at the SunTrust Bank in Sebring, about 84 miles (135 kilometers) southeast of Tampa. The trial only will decide Xaver’s sentence. Opening statements are expected in two weeks, with the trial lasting about two months.
His victims included customer Cynthia Watson, 65, who had been married less than a month; bank teller coordinator Marisol Lopez, 55, who was a mother of two; banker trainee Ana Pinon-Williams, a 38-year-old mother of seven; bank teller Debra Cook, a 54-year-old mother of two and a grandmother; and banker Jessica Montague, 31, a mother of one and stepmother of four.
Michael Cook said he hopes his wife’s killer gets the death penalty and described being very frustrated by the years of delays. The trial was set to begin at least two other times, but was postponed.
“I have purposely not asked too many questions because I don’t want to get more frustrated and angry,” Cook said. He plans to attend the trial.
Lead prosecutor Paul Wallace and lead defense attorney Jane McNeill both declined to comment. Prosecutors are expected to argue Xaver deserves the death penalty because the killings were cold, cruel, heinous and planned. Xaver’s attorneys are expected to cite what they have described as his years-long mental health problems as they seek leniency.
Under a new Florida law, for Xaver to receive the death penalty the jury’s vote only has to be 8-4 for execution instead of unanimous. It was enacted after the 2018 Parkland high school shooter could not be sentenced to death for murdering 17 people despite a 9-3 jury vote.
Sebring is a city of about 11,000 residents and known internationally for its annual 12 Hours of Sebring endurance auto race. Agriculture, tourism and retirees drive its economy.
Xaver moved to Sebring in 2018 from near South Bend, Indiana. In 2014, his high school principal contacted police after Xaver told others he was having dreams about hurting his classmates. His mother promised to get him psychological help.
He joined the Army in 2016. A former girlfriend, who met him at a mental hospital where they were patients, told police he said joining the military was a “way to kill people and get away with it.” The Army discharged him after three months. In 2017, a Michigan woman reported him after he sent her text messages suggesting he might commit “suicide by cop” or take hostages.
Despite his psychological problems and dismissal from the Army, Florida hired Xaver as a guard trainee in November 2018 at a prison near Sebring. He quit two months later, which was two weeks before the shootings. His employment file shows no disciplinary issues. He had applied to be a Sebring police officer seven months before the murders but wasn’t hired.
On the day before he quit working at the prison, Xaver legally purchased a 9 mm handgun and bullets. Later he bought a bullet-resistant vest.
About five hours before the murders, Xaver began a long, intermittent text message conversation with a girlfriend in Connecticut, telling her “this is the best day of my life” but refusing to say why.
Fifteen minutes before the shootings, he texted her, “I’m dying today,”
Then from the bank parking lot he texted, “I’m taking a few people with me because I’ve always wanted to kill people so I am going to try it and see how it goes. Watch for me on the news.”
He then entered the bank, a sweatshirt covering his vest. Security video shows him smiling as he approaches Lopez, according to police reports. They briefly speak, before he pulls his gun and points it at her and the other women. He orders them against the wall before telling Lopez to lock the doors.
When she returns, he orders the women onto the floor face down. After shooting them, he calls police on his cellphone.
He had been in the bank less than four minutes.
Police spoke with Xaver for about an hour before a SWAT team broke into the bank. He surrendered a short time later and confessed in a taped interview with detectives. That statement has not been released, but will be played at the trial along with the security video.
Shortly after the shooting, the bank was torn down. The site is now a park with a memorial to the victims.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Trump, GOP lag Biden and Democrats in fundraising as campaigns look to general election
- One Year Later, Pennsylvanians Living Near the East Palestine Train Derailment Site Say They’re Still Sick
- Horoscopes Today, February 21, 2024
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- What is chlormequat, and can the chemical found in foods like Quaker Oats and Cheerios impact fertility?
- Death of Nex Benedict did not result from trauma, police say; many questions remain
- Biden weighs invoking executive authority to stage border crackdown ahead of 2024 election
- 'Most Whopper
- Wyze camera breach allowed customers to look at other people's camera feeds: What to know
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Going on 30 years, an education funding dispute returns to the North Carolina Supreme Court
- 7 people hospitalized after fire in Chicago high-rise building
- In wake of mass shooting, here is how Maine’s governor wants to tackle gun control and mental health
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- U.S. vetoes United Nations resolution calling for immediate humanitarian cease-fire in Gaza
- Brothers resentenced to 60 years to life in 1995 slayings of parents, younger brother
- Inquiry into Pablo Neruda's 1973 death reopened by Chile appeals court
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Meet the 'Beatlemania boomers.' They face a looming retirement crisis
Supreme Court seems skeptical of EPA's good neighbor rule on air pollution
Families of Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie reach settlement in emotional distress suit
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
They came to clinics in Mexico for cosmetic surgery and got a deadly fungal meningitis
Mayorkas meets with Guatemalan leader Arévalo following House impeachment over immigration
Curb your Messi Mania expectations in 2024. He wants to play every match, but will he?