Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Police killing of an unarmed Nebraska man prompts officers to reconsider no-knock warrants -Aspire Money Growth
Charles Langston:Police killing of an unarmed Nebraska man prompts officers to reconsider no-knock warrants
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 17:38:22
OMAHA,Charles Langston Neb. (AP) — Police in Nebraska’s largest city have stopped using some no-knock search warrants, at least for now, after an unarmed Black man was killed by an officer while executing a no-knock warrant last month.
Omaha Deputy Police Chief Scott Gray said the use of standard entry no-knock warrants was suspended pending a full review and assessment of best practices, the Omaha World-Herald reported Friday. Gray said the department is unlikely to do away with the practice entirely.
Omaha Police Officer Adam Vail was part of a SWAT team serving the search warrant during a drug and firearms investigation on Aug. 28 when he fired the single shot that killed Cameron Ford, 37. Vail said Ford charged at him without his hands visible.
Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine declined to charge the officer and officers searching the residence later found fentanyl and large amounts of cash and marijuana, authorities said.
But advocates, including the head of the local NAACP chapter, have called for an independent investigation into the shooting, saying Ford should have been taken into custody, not killed. They have also called for police to stop using no-knock warrants in the aftermath of Ford’s death.
“The use of no-knock warrants has too often led to avoidable violence and heart-wrenching loss,” Wayne Brown, president and CEO of the Urban League of Nebraska, said on Saturday. “It is time to reevaluate these tactics and replace them with strategies that prioritize the well-being of both the officer and the residents.”
Gray said there are four main types of no-knock warrants: Standard entry, breach and hold, surround and callout, and takedown and serve. Omaha police mostly use standard entry and breach and hold.
In standard entry, officers breach a door without prior warning and announce their presence once inside. They then search the location. In breach and hold, officers breach a door and stay in an entryway while issuing verbal commands instead of actively searching.
The surround and callout method involves officers surrounding a location and commanding a subject to come outside. Takedown and serve entails arresting a subject at a separate location prior to executing a search warrant. Both are used infrequently.
Authorities across the U.S., including the Omaha police department, began reevaluating the use of no-knock warrants in 2020 following global outcry over the police killing of Breonna Taylor in Louisville, Kentucky. The 26-year-old Black EMT was fatally shot by police as officers burst into her home while conducting a narcotics investigation. No drugs were found at her home.
In the wake of Taylor’s killing, Omaha police changed their policy by requiring all no-knock warrants to be reviewed and approved by a captain or deputy chief prior to execution. A SWAT team must also serve all warrants that score over a certain level on a threat assessment.
Gray said threat assessments consider factors such as the subject’s history of violence, mental illness or substance abuse, and their access to weapons. It also takes into account factors like the presence of dangerous dogs or cameras. Each factor is assigned a numerical value.
If the threat assessment score is 25 or higher, the SWAT team is called in to execute the search warrant. Ford scored an 80 on the threat assessment, police said.
veryGood! (7134)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- A 102-year-old Holocaust survivor graces the cover of Vogue Germany
- Singer, songwriter, provocateur and politician Kinky Friedman dead at 79
- Beyoncé Shares Rare Glimpse Inside Romantic Getaway With Husband Jay-Z
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- The Supreme Court allows emergency abortions in Idaho for now in a limited ruling
- North Carolina’s restrictions on public mask-wearing are now law after some key revisions
- Police in Texas examining 20+ deaths after boarding home operator charged with murder
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 4 bodies recovered on Mount Fuji after missing climber sent photos from summit to family
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Oklahoma superintendent orders public schools to teach the Bible
- Pennsylvania Senate passes bill to bar universities and pension funds from divesting from Israel
- Which Hooters locations are closed? Our map shows over 40 shuttered restaurants nationwide
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Princess Anne returns home after hospitalization for concussion
- Why Love Is Blind's Jess Vestal Is Considering Removing Her Breast Implants
- North Carolina’s restrictions on public mask-wearing are now law after some key revisions
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Why Kendall Jenner's Visit to Paris’ Louvre Museum Is Sparking a Debate
Rob Kardashian Makes Rare Appearance in Khloe Kardashian's Birthday Video
Debate-watchers in the Biden and Trump camps seem to agree on something. Biden had a bad night
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Princess Diana's Celebrity Crush Revealed By Son Prince William
Sha'Carri Richardson runs season-best time in 200, advances to semifinals at trials
Randall Cobb, family 'lucky to be alive' after Nashville home catches on fire